Frequently Asked Questions
Who can nominate?
Only the representative of an active IFEES member society may officially submit nomination packages. Individuals who are members of an IFEES organization must go through his or her IFEES representative in order to submit a nomination package. For a list of IFEES member representatives, please see the Members page.
Who can be nominated?
Any individual who has made outstanding and original contributions to engineering education through exemplary teaching, research, and/or leadership innovations.
What are the judging criteria?
The recipient of this award is expected to have made an outstanding contribution to undergraduate or graduate engineering education and whose impact extends beyond the individuals’ institution of employment. Criteria to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- Educational Impact:
- Development and implementation of teaching/learning tools that are or can be made available to students and instructors worldwide and have gained documented acceptance by students and professors;
- Documented excellence in undergraduate or graduate teaching;
- Curriculum development with inclusion of current research and knowledge that reflects the state of the art in courses, and
- Authorship of educational material.
- Engineering Impact:
- Research and development activity (patents, discoveries, entrepreneurship, new business creation)
- Integration of research and education
- Training of engineering educators (focusing on pedagogy and/or didactics)
- Overall Impact
- Involvement with and direction of undergraduate students to prepare them for successful engineering careers;
- New faculty mentorship
- Outstanding service in professional and eng edu associations, S&T policy making bodies
- Impact on the Workforce, Impact on Diversity, Impact of Perceptions
- Ethical Issues
How is the decision made?
The criteria will be evaluated within three categories; Educational Impact, Engineering Impact and Overall Impact. Each category contains subsections which are rated on a scale of 1-10. Each nominee’s score will be a summation of all scores with overall impact carrying a 1.5 weight factor.
The Awards Committee will use a scoring matrix to make a recommendation to the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee will make a final decision to reject or accept the Awards Committee’s recommendation.
Who is on the IFEES Awards Committee?
The committee who will make recommendations for the 2016 IFEES Award consists of distinguished IFEES member representatives. The 2016 Chair of the IFEES Duncan Fraser Global Awards Committee is Linda Krute (IACEE). The Committee includes Michael Auer (IGIP/IFEES President Elect), Stephanie Farrell (IUCEE), Gudrun Kammasch (IPW), Miguel Angel Sosa (IFEES Executive Committee) and Hans-Jürgen Hoyer (IFEES Secretariat).
Who is on the Executive Committee?
For a list of the current Executive Committee, please see: IFEES Leadership Team page.
Who sponsors the IFEES Award?
In 2016, Dassault Systèmes, Granta Design and National Instruments are supporting the Award.
We are grateful for the IFEES’ Corporate members who have supported all costs for previous IFEES Duncan Fraser Global Awards. We anticipate that several Corporate members will continue to provide the financial support for this Award.